EXPECTING a baby is an exciting time for parents but there is also a lot of pressure to come up with the perfect name.
Choose badly and your offspring is stuck with it for a lifetime.
The Queensland Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages has released the top baby names for 2012, and Ruby and William have topped the list for Caboolture.
Stay-at-home mum Nicole Daley, 27, recently celebrated her daughter Rubie's first birthday.
"I've always loved the name, it means precious stone," she said.
"I didn't know it was popular, it's just a name I have always loved and it is sweet."
The meaning is quite fitting for Nicole who had struggled for seven years to have a child.
While Nicole did not know of any other babies named Ruby she wasn't surprised that it was popular.
She said she decided to go with unusual spelling to give the classic name a bit of a twist.
Mum-of-six with more to come, Samantha Duffy said she wanted her latest bub five-month-old William to have a strong name.
"I want him to have strong will, so what better than Will-I-Am," she said.
"I find it's a good thing in today's society to have."
She said she didn't pay attention to lists or a certain royal of the same name.
"I didn't know it was popular until I saw the list online," she said.
"I had no idea it was a prevalent name, 14-15 months ago it didn't seem like a popular name."
Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Jarrod Bleijie said while names helped distinguish us from each other, they were also important in establishing our identity.
"Naming a child is one of the most important things a parent has to do," Mr Bleijie said.
"The names we choose for our children can define them for the rest of their lives, through all the highs and lows.
"It can at times be challenging to find the right name for a child."
Caboolture's top names for 2012
- Neat and tidy highset home that has been built to last - Comprising of 3 bedrooms with polished floors throughout - Clean and compact renovated kitchen with...
- Highly motivated vendors committed to selling on or before Auction day - Charming colonial style home oozes potential, 5 bedrooms - Positioned on a 3438sqm block...
- Serious sellers are moving on, secure a piece of Sunshine Coast paradise - Presents as new, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms & generous home office - Extensive array of...
- Four good size bedrooms all with built in robes - Well designed to suit low maintenance block - The plan is open and free flowing throughout - Centrally...
- Wake up with the water at your front door, this won't last long - Invest with confidence with future growth assured from this location - Stunning ocean views...
- Serious sellers are moving on. Entry level buying in Kuluin - Comfortable tiled living & dining areas with a modern flair feel - Stunning kitchen with vast...
- Architecturally designed home with spacious open plan - Main house complete with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Fully self contained 2 bedroom guest house with...
- Beach front resort with great returns cash flow positive - Stunning ocean views from every angle never to be built out - Designer 2 pac kitchen with ample bench...
- 5 years old, stylish modern family home - 4 spacious bedrooms all with built ins and ceiling fans - Master bedroom complete with walk in robe and ensuite - Great...
This is one that you will compare all the others too. A standout home that is a must to inspect to fully appreciate what it has to offer. -Dual living...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.