EXPECTING a baby is an exciting time for parents but there is also a lot of pressure to come up with the perfect name.
Choose badly and your offspring is stuck with it for a lifetime.
The Queensland Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages has released the top baby names for 2012, and Ruby and William have topped the list for Caboolture.
Stay-at-home mum Nicole Daley, 27, recently celebrated her daughter Rubie's first birthday.
"I've always loved the name, it means precious stone," she said.
"I didn't know it was popular, it's just a name I have always loved and it is sweet."
The meaning is quite fitting for Nicole who had struggled for seven years to have a child.
While Nicole did not know of any other babies named Ruby she wasn't surprised that it was popular.
She said she decided to go with unusual spelling to give the classic name a bit of a twist.
Mum-of-six with more to come, Samantha Duffy said she wanted her latest bub five-month-old William to have a strong name.
"I want him to have strong will, so what better than Will-I-Am," she said.
"I find it's a good thing in today's society to have."
She said she didn't pay attention to lists or a certain royal of the same name.
"I didn't know it was popular until I saw the list online," she said.
"I had no idea it was a prevalent name, 14-15 months ago it didn't seem like a popular name."
Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Jarrod Bleijie said while names helped distinguish us from each other, they were also important in establishing our identity.
"Naming a child is one of the most important things a parent has to do," Mr Bleijie said.
"The names we choose for our children can define them for the rest of their lives, through all the highs and lows.
"It can at times be challenging to find the right name for a child."
Caboolture's top names for 2012
Prepare to be impressed from the minute you enter this carefully designed home with high raked ceilings and an outstanding level of craftsmanship. Perfect for a...
- Ultimate coastal lifestyle awaits with the beach at your front door - Large immaculately presented 3 bedroom unit in central location - Open plan living space...
- 3 spacious bedrooms plus a study area - Luxurious ensuite & walk-in-robe to master - Large wrap-around balcony with stunning ocean views - Spacious living &...
Live the coastal lifestyle with Currimundi and Dicky Beaches just a few hundred metres down the road. This is a first floor unit in the rear of the complex and...
- 1 spacious bedroom - Luxurious bathroom with spa bath - Spacious balcony with sensational views of the Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island, Caloundra city & the...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite with spa bath, plus main bathroom and separate powder-room - Spacious living & dining rooms - Large balcony with magnificent ocean...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite with spa bath plus main bathroom - Large balcony with Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island & ocean views - Fully...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Ensuite plus second bathroom - Large wrap-around balcony with magnificent views of Kings Beach, Bribie Island, Glass House Mountains and...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite plus main bathroom - Large closed-in balcony with spectacular panoramic views of Caloundra City and the deep blue ocean - Spacious...
- 3 spacious bedrooms plus study - Luxury ensuite & main bathroom plus powder-room - Large living & dining areas plus family-room - Huge wrap-around terrace with...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.