AUSTRALIA'S secret swimming spots have been revealed in the first authoritative book on the nation's best beaches.
But Sunshine Coast beaches barely made the cut.
The book 101 Best Australian Beaches was released this week and just one was on the Sunshine Coast.
The secluded and exclusive Tea Tree Bay was included, but not popular tourist spots such as Mooloolaba, Alexandra Headland, Noosa's Main Beach and Kings Beach.
Authors Andy Short and Brad Farmer visited Australia's 11,761 mainland beaches on a mission to find the best of the best.
Mr Short is described as the "world's foremost authority on beaches" after writing 12 books and hundreds of scientific articles about coastal areas. Mr Farmer is passionate about coastal preservation and co-wrote the first Surfing Guide to Australia.
In their critique, the pair listed Tea Tree's long easy waves as being a favourite with longboard riders since the 1960s.
They said it was one of the fine pockets of beaches dotting the three-kilometre coastal walk from Noosa Beach through the national park.
Noosa Heads Boardriders contest director Shannon Neil said he was happy to share the beauty of Tea Tree with the rest of Australia.
"It is a pretty special place, and probably one of my favourites to surf," he said.
"It's an amazing place and plenty of locals know it is there. We're pretty lucky to be living here."
Beaches were judged on the views, sand, surf, bordering headlands, natural experiences and the historical or human stories behind them.
Noosa Tourism general manager Damian Massingham said Tea Tree Beach was just one example of many of why the Noosa Biosphere was Queensland's first biosphere reserve.
"Tea Tree is one of Noosa's hidden gems and it is a beautiful little stretch of beach that's a favourite for many locals," Mr Massingham said.
"It is popular as a surf break and has amazing rock pools kids love to explore.
"This recognises how man and nature work together. Tea Tree is so accessible, just a short walk through Noosa National Park, yet you feel like you're a world away."
While Sunshine Coast Destination Limited CEO Steve Cooper was pleased Tea Tree Beach was ranked, he was surprised other Sunshine Coast beaches weren't.
"I would have thought the north-facing beaches would have made the list," Mr Cooper said.
"North-facing beaches in sub tropical climates always rank in the top beaches in terms of water quality and environment."
Mr Cooper singled out Noosa and Mooloolaba as examples.
Co-author Mr Farmer said he hoped the book would encourage Australians to act as beach custodians.
>> The state's best?
- Agnes Water, Bundaberg
- Bramston Beach, Cairns
- Cape Hillsborough, Central Coast
- Cylinders Beach, Stradbroke Island
- Eimeo, Mackay
- Four Mile Beach, Port Douglas
- Frangipani Beach, Cape York
- Horseshoe Bay, Magnetic Island
- Mission Beach, Nth Queensland
- Mon Repos, Bundaberg
- Myall Beach, Daintree
- Palm Cove, Cairns
- Rainbow Bay, Cooloola
- Rainbow Beach, Cooloola
- Resort Beach, Lizard Island
- 75 Mile Beach, Fraser Is
- Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast
- Tangalooma, Moreton Bay
- Tea Tree Beach, Noosa
- The Strand, Townsville
- Whitehaven Beach, Whitsundays
>> And some that missed the cut
- Alexandra Headland Beach
- Maroochydore Beach
- Point Cartwright, Kawana
- Kings Beach, Caloundra
- Dicky Beach, Caloundra
- Bulcock Beach, Caloundra
- Main Beach, Noosa
- National Park, Noosa
- Little Cove, Noosa
- Peregian Beach
This amazing position right on the water is just living the life! Fish from your own spacious deck or enjoy your own sandy beach. This spacious 3 bedroom, ensuited...
This exquisite apartment sits on the 7th floor facing East/North with stunning views of the ocean and beyond to Pt Cartwright and is ideally situated on the...
If you are looking for the perfect property ideal either as an investment or a family home, then this is definitely it. One of the quietest and friendliest streets...
Prepare to be impressed from the minute you enter this carefully designed home with high raked ceilings and an outstanding level of craftsmanship. Perfect for a...
- Ultimate coastal lifestyle awaits with the beach at your front door - Large immaculately presented 3 bedroom unit in central location - Open plan living space...
- 3 spacious bedrooms plus a study area - Luxurious ensuite & walk-in-robe to master - Large wrap-around balcony with stunning ocean views - Spacious living &...
Live the coastal lifestyle with Currimundi and Dicky Beaches just a few hundred metres down the road. This is a first floor unit in the rear of the complex and...
- 1 spacious bedroom - Luxurious bathroom with spa bath - Spacious balcony with sensational views of the Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island, Caloundra city & the...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite with spa bath, plus main bathroom and separate powder-room - Spacious living & dining rooms - Large balcony with magnificent ocean...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite with spa bath plus main bathroom - Large balcony with Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island & ocean views - Fully...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.