THIRTEEN is a lucky number for the Sunshine Coast business community keen to go green.
That's how many businesses and local facilities were recognised for successfully completing the ecoBiz energy, waste and water reduction program at a breakfast in Noosa today.
The group has saved enough energy to power 30 homes for a year, reduced their waste by more than 6,700 household wheelie bins, and saved enough water to fill 10 Olympic swimming pools.
Mayor Mark Jamieson congratulated the businesses for their green achievements since signing up to the program two years ago.
"Through ecoBiz, the community and council are working together to build a more sustainable future for the region," he said.
"Our region now has 35 ecoBiz partners who have made exceptional efforts in reducing waste, energy and water - and saved more than $1 million in the process."
The ecoBiz program provides businesses with the tools, training and information to make environmental and financial savings. It is a state government partnership program delivered by council.
Businesses must show at least 10 per cent savings in waste disposal or energy or water consumption to become ecoBiz partners.
Environment Portfolio Councillor Tony Wellington said about 60 Coast businesses are currently involved in the program, either as partners or working toward partnership.
"Small changes can often make a substantial difference. The 13 new partners have been working through actions in the ecoBiz program, and the results are clearly outstanding," he said.
"It is terrific to see members of our business community working towards a better future for our planet. It's a win-win situation where both the participating business and the environment reap positive benefits."
New Sunshine Coast ecoBiz partners include:
• Peregian Beach business Atmail (reduced energy use by 59%)
• Raw Energy, Peregian (reduced waste disposal by 76% - the equivalent of 345 wheelie bins)
• Sushi Wave (reduced green house gas emissions by 11% and reduced waste equal to 118 wheelie bins)
• The Boathouse Floating Restaurant (reduced waste by 11%)
• Le Bon Delice French Patisserie (reduced waste by 72% - the equivalent of 294 wheelie bins - through recycling and composting)
• High Tide (reduced greenhouse gas emissions by more than 12% and made energy savings by replacing halogen lights with LEDs and replacing inefficient appliances)
Five of the new partners are part of the Peregian Beach Cluster, a group of 17 businesses aiming to be the Coast's most sustainable business community.
Maroochydore Library, Noosa Aquatic Centre, Caloundra Depot, Sunshine Coast Airport, Quad Park, and Caloundra Indoor Stadium are also new ecoBiz partners.
Just completed, this quality duplex construction, located on a corner block in "The Ridges" offers stylish, easy care living in a highly sought after prime...
This brand new 210sqm home features the very best of open plan living, with three large bedrooms, ample storage, landscaped gardens and secure, lock-up double car...
The advertised price is correct and to make sure you don't drop the ball on this one make sure you grab it with two hands. Quick features: Located on the third...
South facing, brand new 1 bedroom apartment located in 'The Green'. - Situated on Constance street, positioned on the 11th level/fantastic outlook - generous...
- Stunning 3 bedroom apartment with 4 plus car accommodation - Sprawling over 215m2 of refined luxury living - Full length balcony capturing world class views over...
This beautifully presented penthouse apartment offers a leisurely and accessible lifestyle in the sought after "Bluewater Point" complex on the deep waterfront in...
Stunning unit in the forever in demand resort style 'St.Kitts' complex. Offering a great lifestyle right on the river. This lovely modern North facing unit...
You will feel instantly at home as soon as you walk in this beautiful home Peace and tranquillity in prime sought after location Immaculate throughout with warm...
This Brand New beach house boasts absolute beach frontage and your own access way to the soft sand and clean surf breaks of Wurtulla. At the core of this stylish...
- Need extra space? Look no further here is the one you are after - A rare opportunity with two separate residences on the one block - House 1 has 4 bedrooms, 1...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.