THIRTEEN is a lucky number for the Sunshine Coast business community keen to go green.
That's how many businesses and local facilities were recognised for successfully completing the ecoBiz energy, waste and water reduction program at a breakfast in Noosa today.
The group has saved enough energy to power 30 homes for a year, reduced their waste by more than 6,700 household wheelie bins, and saved enough water to fill 10 Olympic swimming pools.
Mayor Mark Jamieson congratulated the businesses for their green achievements since signing up to the program two years ago.
"Through ecoBiz, the community and council are working together to build a more sustainable future for the region," he said.
"Our region now has 35 ecoBiz partners who have made exceptional efforts in reducing waste, energy and water - and saved more than $1 million in the process."
The ecoBiz program provides businesses with the tools, training and information to make environmental and financial savings. It is a state government partnership program delivered by council.
Businesses must show at least 10 per cent savings in waste disposal or energy or water consumption to become ecoBiz partners.
Environment Portfolio Councillor Tony Wellington said about 60 Coast businesses are currently involved in the program, either as partners or working toward partnership.
"Small changes can often make a substantial difference. The 13 new partners have been working through actions in the ecoBiz program, and the results are clearly outstanding," he said.
"It is terrific to see members of our business community working towards a better future for our planet. It's a win-win situation where both the participating business and the environment reap positive benefits."
New Sunshine Coast ecoBiz partners include:
• Peregian Beach business Atmail (reduced energy use by 59%)
• Raw Energy, Peregian (reduced waste disposal by 76% - the equivalent of 345 wheelie bins)
• Sushi Wave (reduced green house gas emissions by 11% and reduced waste equal to 118 wheelie bins)
• The Boathouse Floating Restaurant (reduced waste by 11%)
• Le Bon Delice French Patisserie (reduced waste by 72% - the equivalent of 294 wheelie bins - through recycling and composting)
• High Tide (reduced greenhouse gas emissions by more than 12% and made energy savings by replacing halogen lights with LEDs and replacing inefficient appliances)
Five of the new partners are part of the Peregian Beach Cluster, a group of 17 businesses aiming to be the Coast's most sustainable business community.
Maroochydore Library, Noosa Aquatic Centre, Caloundra Depot, Sunshine Coast Airport, Quad Park, and Caloundra Indoor Stadium are also new ecoBiz partners.
On offer here is an apartment with a great central location with a view to the shipping channel. This tidy two bedroom two bathroom unit will be perfect for the...
- Custom designed to appease the fussiest of buyers with wonderful lake views - Extensive array of indoor/outdoor living areas & abundance light & space - 5...
Location doesn't get much better than Mooloolaba Esplanade and this 1st floor Bellardoo' apartment is all about the prime location and the beachside lifestyle. It...
- Serious seller requires immediate result, must be sold on or before Auction day - Well-presented home, 4 generous bedrooms & 2 bathrooms - 2 spacious living...
This beautiful brand new home has only been lived in for 6 months and build was finished in Febuary. Situated near schools and a TAFE this home is perfect for a...
Are you looking for affordable land close in to Buderim? Have you been looking for your dream house but cannot find it? Here is the solution to both of these...
Used by the original owners sparingly over the last ten years as a weekender, this spacious three bedroom apartment presents "as new" and features picturesque...
So close to the heart of Maroochydore and fine schools is this RARE offering Spacious top quality family home with glowing hardwood floors and high...
This amazing position right on the water is just living the life! Fish from your own spacious deck or enjoy your own sandy beach. This spacious 3 bedroom, ensuited...
Showcasing fabulous long water views to the yachts at the marina, this immaculately presented single level family home offers relaxed waterfront living in a...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.