THIRTEEN is a lucky number for the Sunshine Coast business community keen to go green.
That's how many businesses and local facilities were recognised for successfully completing the ecoBiz energy, waste and water reduction program at a breakfast in Noosa today.
The group has saved enough energy to power 30 homes for a year, reduced their waste by more than 6,700 household wheelie bins, and saved enough water to fill 10 Olympic swimming pools.
Mayor Mark Jamieson congratulated the businesses for their green achievements since signing up to the program two years ago.
"Through ecoBiz, the community and council are working together to build a more sustainable future for the region," he said.
"Our region now has 35 ecoBiz partners who have made exceptional efforts in reducing waste, energy and water - and saved more than $1 million in the process."
The ecoBiz program provides businesses with the tools, training and information to make environmental and financial savings. It is a state government partnership program delivered by council.
Businesses must show at least 10 per cent savings in waste disposal or energy or water consumption to become ecoBiz partners.
Environment Portfolio Councillor Tony Wellington said about 60 Coast businesses are currently involved in the program, either as partners or working toward partnership.
"Small changes can often make a substantial difference. The 13 new partners have been working through actions in the ecoBiz program, and the results are clearly outstanding," he said.
"It is terrific to see members of our business community working towards a better future for our planet. It's a win-win situation where both the participating business and the environment reap positive benefits."
New Sunshine Coast ecoBiz partners include:
• Peregian Beach business Atmail (reduced energy use by 59%)
• Raw Energy, Peregian (reduced waste disposal by 76% - the equivalent of 345 wheelie bins)
• Sushi Wave (reduced green house gas emissions by 11% and reduced waste equal to 118 wheelie bins)
• The Boathouse Floating Restaurant (reduced waste by 11%)
• Le Bon Delice French Patisserie (reduced waste by 72% - the equivalent of 294 wheelie bins - through recycling and composting)
• High Tide (reduced greenhouse gas emissions by more than 12% and made energy savings by replacing halogen lights with LEDs and replacing inefficient appliances)
Five of the new partners are part of the Peregian Beach Cluster, a group of 17 businesses aiming to be the Coast's most sustainable business community.
Maroochydore Library, Noosa Aquatic Centre, Caloundra Depot, Sunshine Coast Airport, Quad Park, and Caloundra Indoor Stadium are also new ecoBiz partners.
Whether you're looking to secure a neat and comfortable family home with plenty of yard space for the outdoor coastal lifestyle, or you want to capitalise on a...
Owners have now relocated and we are instructed to sell. Sensational parcel of level land in a quiet location on 4000m2. Light filled open plan living, with raked...
Nestled in Black Mountain and only 5 minutes from the quaint Hinterland Town of Cooroy lies this fully useable 20 plus acre lifestyle property. Fully fenced and...
Owned by one of Noosa's historic families for nearly 60 years, this magnificent block with panoramic views over Lake Doonella is reluctantly being relinquished. ...
Located in the iconic Skippers Cove beachfront resort at Noosaville This gorgeous plantation style townhouse overlooks the sparkling resort pools A very generous...
- Recently renovated and extended to capture pretty Noosa River views - Private Balcony overlooking the Noosa River - This stylish townhouse offers lifestyle and...
- Wake up with the water at your front door, this won't last long - Invest with confidence with future growth assure from this location - Stunning ocean views...
Located right in the heart of Greenwood Grove estate and walking distance to town this fabulous property has a lot to offer. Great open plan living with plenty of...
This is one location where a car is definitely not necessary!! If you are a lover of nature and revel in the beauty of our fabulous Lake Doonella or simply...
Are you looking for a solid investment that you can either develop now and reap the immediate benefits or enjoy the charm and ambiance that this charismatic...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.