JOHN Victorsen plans to lift a glass to Adam Scott about 10am today.
That is about the time the 33-year-old Queenslander will officially become the world's number one golfer.
John, the Headland Golf Course senior professional, is leading five others on a golfing weekend away in Tasmania.
Adam was nine when he first teed off at Headland in 1990.
His dad Phil, only a couple of years away from designing Noosa's Peregian Springs Golf Course, was working at the then Hyatt Coolum Resort's course.
The family settled on the Sunshine Coast, Adam going to school at Matthew Flinders College.
He got to know John's sons well.
"John would come home and start talking about the way the young bloke was playing - the amazing things he was doing on the course.
"He's never changed, though.
"Adam's just a great young bloke.
"And a dyed-in-the-wool Queenslander - loves his Broncs and the Lions."
Last year, John and some of his mates went to Augusta to see the US Masters.
It was a game-changer.
"Young Adam" became the first Australian to win it.
And then he proved how much he loved "Aussie".
"The winner of the green jacket gets to choose the food for the tournament banquet," John said.
"He picked Aussie food ... from Moreton Bay bugs right through to pavlova.
"Adam loves Australia, loves Queensland and loves the Coast."
Adam, who won about $12 million last year according to Forbes, will be in his home in the Bahamas when he takes number one from his great friend and rival Tiger Woods.
Adam will be only the 17th golfer to move to the top of the world leaderboard.
He is the second Australian. The first, of course, was another Queenslander, good friend Greg Norman.
A measure of Adam was his response to putting problems in 2009, and a fall from world number three to 63.
Some said he might simply have been too nice to land the killer blows that would take him to the top, but he proved them wrong.
"I think it's a nice feather in the cap," Scott said of becoming number one.
"But I'd also much rather win the US Open and not be number one at all this year.
"That's what it comes down to."
- Adam Derek Scott was born in Adelaide in 1980, son of Pam and Phil
- By 1990, the Scotts settled on the Sunshine Coast. They moved to the Gold Coast two years later
- He now plays mainly on the PGA Tour
- Has won 23 official money tournaments around the world, including two Australian Masters titles
- Biggest win to date was the US Masters Tournament at Augusta in 2013
- Is first Australian to win the US Masters since it began 77 years ago
- In April, 2014, he married long-time girlfriend, Swedish architect Marie Kojzar
- At 1.83m tall and weighing 85kg, he is still a keen surfer
- This property represents an amazing opportunity to secure a waterfront lifestyle - 972sqm vacant deepwater block with a large 22m north facing canal frontage ...
Open This Saturday from 10:30am - AUCTION at 11:00am Welcome to 113 Wilson Road, your very own private sanctuary of calm. Located only minutes to the Sunshine...
- Tough decision made, owners say sell creating an amazing opportunity - Immaculately presented home, 3 large bedrooms & 2 bathrooms - Quality brick & tile build...
- Stunning apartment in one of the Coasts premium residential complex - 2 generous size bedrooms with master featuring quadruple robe & ensuite - Open plan design...
- Serious sellers are moving on, secure a piece of Sunshine Coast paradise - Presents as new, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms & generous home office - Extensive array of...
This stunning almost 13 acre property is nestled in the picturesque Noosa hinterland and has the benefit of only being 3km from the township of Eumundi famous for...
- 4 Bedrooms with dual living potential - Positioned on a more than generous 680sqm block - Side access for the van or boat - Tandem car accommodation with...
It's time to act, work forces owners to relocate. Here's your chance to secure your dream home, this is the complete package! Space, privacy, size, pool, location;...
Located within the prestige Nyes Crescent this is the perfect block to build your dream home...with nearly 1/4 of an acre of flat vacant land and stunning ocean...
- Huge 3 level residence - 4 spacious bedrooms plus office - Ensuite, 4 bathrooms plus powder-room - 2 large living rooms plus family room - Kitchen on each...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.