THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
This impressive architect designed home on nearly half an acre of lush, native forest is situated in Buderim's "Panorama Ridge" an exclusive gated enclave...
Perfectly positioned in one of Pelican Waters most convenient and desirable locations. Offered to the market is this brand new luxury single level home located on...
This four year old home offers ample space for the whole family, and all of your toys! Just a short walk from Caloundra City Private School at Pelican Waters, This...
This architecturally designed and constructed by one of the coast finest and distinctive builders, Planet Homes. Positioned on the block which makes the most out...
This very tidy unit is located only a short stroll to shops and the Beach. Located at the back of the complex this unit offers a sensational outlook over bush...
From the moment you step inside you will be instantly impressed by the sense of space, style and it's all brand new! A plan that has been well thought out giving...
The Queensland way of living is showcased in this immaculate, stylish home. Ready for your family to enjoy. The entertaining area has been made into a tiled...
Waterfront living has long been out of reach for those looking for a low-maintenance, small scale home on the water. What was once a luxury for those who could...
Attractive street appeal and a very convenient location add to the appeal of this one level canal home which has been designed to connect so closely with its...
With 357sqm under roof and 1044sqm of land, there is plenty of space inside and out with this tranquil waterfront haven. Whether sitting and relaxing under the...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.