THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
Are you looking for a home that gives you a sense of peace and tranquility and the privacy that 15 acres of your own slice of paradise will give you? Do you want...
Enjoy watching the kids play from your lounge in this single level home just a stone's throw from Noosa canals. Encompassing stunning street appeal and exceptional...
Picture this, sitting on top of the world taking in the stunning 360˚ views in complete bliss! The outlook from this property is huge and will take your breath...
Located only a block back from the Noosa River and the famous Gympie Terrace at your doorstep this property is in a prime position. The resort takes pleasure in...
This very neat rendered brick home is situated on the high side of the road allowing for an elevated outlook over the estate. The property would make a perfect...
ANXIOUS ELDERLY OWNERS NOW VACATED Fantastic lifestyle in this architect designed, low maintenance, tri-level boutique apartment. In a gated enclave of just four...
Move into Doonella now, no need to wait for land, move in immediately and take advantage of Noosaville's best buy. Only months "young" this GJ Gardner home...
This well thought out modern, spacious family home has everything you need for the relaxed Sunshine Coast lifestyle. Lovely north east facing covered entertaining...
Built in 2011, 4 Surfside Court is a substantial modern home located in a prized position, just opposite the beach. Hear and see the waves from most rooms in this...
Private extended driveway entrance. This desirable home is situated on a very private landscaped 672m2 allotment. It is without doubt the most desirable location...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.