THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
Looking for an easy maintenance, private retreat, just minutes to everything on the Coast. Look no further, this one ticks the boxes! Built to the highest of...
**View By Private Appointment** Seeking that WOW and class that comes with Penthouse Living? Look no further, it is right here and there has NEVER been a better...
Have you been considering downsizing or looking for that perfect sea change? This is the one you have been waiting for! In an ultimate position where you can...
Stylishly and tastefully renovated, this fabulous family home in a leafy, well established, quiet neighbourhood, presents 'as new' and offers a premium lifestyle...
If you are reading this it means the pictures have sparked your interest and so they should, this is definitely a Peace, Love and Broccoli type of property. If you...
Value buyers will know they have bought well with this home. As you park in the quiet and family-friendly cul-de-sac and pass through the front security gates, it...
Built in 2015, this gorgeous architect designed home in a leafy dress circle pocket on top of Buderim and showcasing breathtaking views of the iconic Glass House...
When you tell stories to your kids and their kids about how you had the opportunity to buy an apartment on the fringe of a major CBD development do you tell them...
This home really has it all! With large spacious open plan living areas, a modern kitchen, great sized bedrooms, generous sized level grass yard and one amazing...
Positioned in a small peaceful friendly cul-de-sac with an ideal north-east facing yard, it would be hard to find a better street, if not a better property. Walk...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.