THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
Living on the water has its obvious advantages. Fishing, kayaking or even taking the family down the river boating are some of the fabulous lifestyle opportunities...
With an ever growing population and with block sizes shrinking rapidly as a result, buying a home with a large block becomes a very smart move. 4 Northridge Court...
** Open Saturday 12-12.30pm ** How good is this!! Andrew Vockler of Ray White Bli Bli is extremely excited to be able to offer a great family home of generous...
This 3 bedroom home is ideal if you enjoy outdoor entertaining and are after a low maintenance 450sqm yard. The open plan kitchen, living / dining areas transition...
- Low maintenance rendered brick and tile Currimundi home - Separate living and dining areas with open plan kitchen - Huge master with ensuite, separate entrance...
The facts are indisputable - 5 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 Car and Pool for an unbelievable price! Investors this is a sensational large family home accompanied by a rental...
Set on a private elevated 3,887m2 allotment, this architectural residence is appointed to the highest standard with European appliances, ducted air-conditioning...
This well cared for property at 20 Palkana Drive Warana, really sums up Sunshine Coast living!! Beach side of the Nicklin Way and approximately 200 metres from one...
- Wonderful in design with 4 good size bedrooms and 2 stylish bathrooms - Fantastic outdoor alfresco area designed for entertaining all year round - Large open...
This Woombye charmer is like something you'd find in the leafy inner suburbs of Brisbane, like Paddington or Auchenflower; tastefully renovated with lashings of...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.