THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
Whether you're looking to secure a neat and comfortable family home with plenty of yard space for the outdoor coastal lifestyle, or you want to capitalise on a...
Owners have now relocated and we are instructed to sell. Sensational parcel of level land in a quiet location on 4000m2. Light filled open plan living, with raked...
Nestled in Black Mountain and only 5 minutes from the quaint Hinterland Town of Cooroy lies this fully useable 20 plus acre lifestyle property. Fully fenced and...
Owned by one of Noosa's historic families for nearly 60 years, this magnificent block with panoramic views over Lake Doonella is reluctantly being relinquished. ...
Located in the iconic Skippers Cove beachfront resort at Noosaville This gorgeous plantation style townhouse overlooks the sparkling resort pools A very generous...
- Recently renovated and extended to capture pretty Noosa River views - Private Balcony overlooking the Noosa River - This stylish townhouse offers lifestyle and...
- Wake up with the water at your front door, this won't last long - Invest with confidence with future growth assure from this location - Stunning ocean views...
Located right in the heart of Greenwood Grove estate and walking distance to town this fabulous property has a lot to offer. Great open plan living with plenty of...
This is one location where a car is definitely not necessary!! If you are a lover of nature and revel in the beauty of our fabulous Lake Doonella or simply...
Are you looking for a solid investment that you can either develop now and reap the immediate benefits or enjoy the charm and ambiance that this charismatic...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.