THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
What a fantastic opportunity to secure this spacious low maintenance family home. Immaculately presented, the attention to detail is yours to appreciate.With 3...
So, so private...this Beerwah acreage with the benefit of rich volcanic fertile soil, breathtaking views of the iconic Glass House Mountains, and suitable for...
Elegant, contemporary living in a dress circle pocket on top of Buderim, with an expansive breathtaking vista...simply stunning! This custom designed home with a...
Your weekend begins with a revitalising coffee on the deck. The sun is rising and you are watching the breakers below. A swim just after lunch awaits. There is a...
Quick features: Low body corporate rates @ $700 per year, single level, solid construction, new carpets, fresh paint, single car remote lock up plus space for two...
Whether you are looking for a solid investment, a holiday home or a complete permanent sea-change, this two bedroom apartment in the heart of Alexandra Headland...
This cosy home is situated in Coes Creek, a suburb close to West Woombye and Burnside. Enjoy the closeness of schools, town services and utilities yet maintain the...
This well presented home is situated in a quiet street in the highly sought after Buderim area. Upon entry to every room in this unique residence you will be...
This beautifully presented penthouse apartment offers a leisurely and accessible lifestyle in the sought after "Bluewater Point" complex on the deep waterfront in...
This charming, character filled home offers not only tranquil living in a quiet, leafy pocket of Buderim, but is also perfectly set up for dual living with its own...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.