THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
- Great first home or ready made investment in popular locale - Sizable open plan living and dining areas drenched in natural sunlight - Easy accessibility to a...
Opportunity has come a knocking there is no need to look any further, this recently renovated home is simply luxury! Featuring 5 bedrooms 2 bathrooms a unique...
Why buy a shoebox when you can spread out in the space that is on offer here? Situated on a large 691sqm corner block, there is extensive yard space at this home...
An impressive 2 storey newly built home ready for you to add your personal touch. It's all about the position with this home. Situated on a quiet corner block with...
Sensational opportunity to get you into the market- four bedroom, 2 living areas, 2 bathrooms, double lockup garage. Fantastic opportunity for young families...
Lets have a look at why the 5 P's add up to Value and why this home is an opportunity not to be missed. * Purchased elsewhere - This statement shows our owners...
Lets touch on the points listed above and look at why 72 Cobbs Road, Woombye is a sure bet! Fully renovated upstairs/down dual living options, which also means...
Privacy - Peace - Serenity and just a short drive to Hastings Street and some of Noosa's best beaches. Surrounded by quality homes situated in a safe Cul de sac...
Our lovely owners have relocated, here is the perfect opportunity to purchase this private and spacious Yandina gem. This new new home backs onto bush reserve with...
Located one street back from Mudjimba beach is this playful designer home ideal for entertaining. With a North facing grassed yard, a spacious outdoor deck, large...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.