POLICE are on the hunt for a "pushbike outlaw" who has fired shots into the shopfront of a Mooloolaba tattoo business before pedalling off.
CCTV footage that captured the brazen attack showed a man wearing a helmet and a high-visibility shirt riding a bicycle in a circle for four minutes along Brisbane Rd early yesterday morning.
He then leisurely gets off his bicycle out the front of the Inside Outside Body Art, props the bike up, using the stand, pulls a gun from his backpack and fires twice at the shop window.
Maroochydore Criminal Investigation Branch officer-in-charge Daren Edwards said police believed it was an act of intimidation by associated members of the Rebel Motorcycle Club.
"On February 22, the owners of the tattoo business were approached and threatened by persons known to be associated with the Rebels Outlaw Motorcycle Group," Snr Sgt Edwards said.
"The threats were based on their businesses being set up.
"It is well known, not just around the Sunshine Coast but around Queensland and Australia generally, that outlaw motorcycle gangs operate these businesses and they use threats to disrupt other businesses that are trying to set up."
The tattoo and piercing shop opened four weeks ago after shifting locations from Maroochydore.
Owners Michael Erlenmaier and Kerstin Limplee migrated to the Sunshine Coast from Germany in 2011.
Ms Limplee said that within the first month of opening along Aerodrome Rd, Maroochydore, they were threatened.
"They come in and say, 'If you don't stop this, I will come after you, I will get you, I will kill you'," Ms Limplee said.
"They say, 'You have to ask for permission to open a tattoo shop like this'."
The gunshots penetrated the glass shopfront, two mannequins and furniture.
CCTV footage from outside the Mooloolaba Police Beat and other businesses along Brisbane Rd is being reviewed.
Snr Sgt Edwards said police would focus on ending outlaw motorcycle gangs intimidating business owners.
"Why shouldn't other people be able to go about their business? And why should those associated with outlaw motorcycle gangs be the only ones allowed to operate their business?" he said.
"The community does not want to tolerate it anymore.
"They keep going with it. There are shootings around the state, but we will work towards trying to identify these persons and use the force of the law to do something about it."
Ms Limplee said she did not know if they would continue operating the business out of fear the attacks would escalate.
"This is not fair. I don't want to be attacked for just doing my business," she said.
"I don't want to give up my job because I have done it for more than 20 years. It's all I want to do and all I can do."
The Rebel Motorcycle Club Sunshine Coast chapter did not wish to make comment on the matter.
Police ask anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
- Stunning 3 bedroom beach front unit with panoramic views - Master bedroom complete with built in robes and spa bath - Designer 2 pac kitchen with ample bench and...
- This adorable property is priced to sell today - North Lakes best buy on offer. Seller is 100% committed to selling - Outstanding entry level buying, would make...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxury two-way bathroom with spa bath - Spectacular beach and ocean views overlooking the Main Beach to Bribie & Moreton Islands ...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite with spa bath plus large main bathroom - Spacious living & dining areas - 2 large balconies with breathtaking panoramic views of the...
- With genuine reasons for sale the home represents outstanding value - Quality & elevated 4 bedroom home with sparkling ocean views - Cleverly designed & split...
- One of the best renovations you will come across - Thoughtfully designed with flair and craftsmanship - Comprising of four bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Theater...
- Architecturally designed home with spacious open plan - Main house complete with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Fully self contained 2 bedroom guest house with...
- 2 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite with spa bath - Large balcony with spectacular ocean views - Spacious living & dining areas - Fully furnished - Ducted...
- Neat and tidy highset home that has been built to last - Comprising of 3 bedrooms with polished floors throughout - Clean and compact renovated kitchen with...
- 1 bedroom penthouse - Luxury bathroom - Balcony with magnificent views, overlooking the Pumicestone Passage towards Golden Beach and the Glasshouse Mountains ...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.