DESPITE TV, video games and all the other benefits of modern life, nine-year-old Beau Reeves would have loved to grow up in the time of his grandfather.
New statistics from the Australian Bureau of Statistics suggests the generation gap is widening but in some respects Beau and his grandfather Fred couldn't be more similar.
Fred couldn't imagine growing up any time other than the '50s.
"When you've lived in those times, it's very hard to transpose yourself into these times," he said.
Beau didn't seem to have any difficulties imagining life in the fifties, pointing out there were "a lot less rules back then".
"I reckon back then it would have been a bit better," he said.
"It would have been good because you would have had to learn to do other things apart from just watching TV.
"Living on a farm would have been awesome."
As a child Fred couldn't think of anything he would like to be more than a photographer and was fortunate enough to live out his dream in the Royal Australian Air Force.
He said that was one of the biggest differences faced by kids growing up today.
"You could just choose a career path and do it back then," he said.
"I don't think the kids can do that these days."
The ABS stats highlighted things like religion and country of birth as key areas where the generations differed.
Neither Fred nor Beau is religious and both were born in Australia, but there are other ways they differ.
"We had a very simple life," Fred said. "The things that we did usually happened around the farm."
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT YOUR GENERATION?
Birthplace: Redcliffe, QLD
Sports: Martial arts, athletics
Interests: Drama, animals, TV, computer games
Birthplace: Warragul, VIC
Sports: Aussie Rules
Interests: Fishing, photography
Prepare to be impressed from the minute you enter this carefully designed home with high raked ceilings and an outstanding level of craftsmanship. Perfect for a...
- Ultimate coastal lifestyle awaits with the beach at your front door - Large immaculately presented 3 bedroom unit in central location - Open plan living space...
- 3 spacious bedrooms plus a study area - Luxurious ensuite & walk-in-robe to master - Large wrap-around balcony with stunning ocean views - Spacious living &...
Live the coastal lifestyle with Currimundi and Dicky Beaches just a few hundred metres down the road. This is a first floor unit in the rear of the complex and...
- 1 spacious bedroom - Luxurious bathroom with spa bath - Spacious balcony with sensational views of the Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island, Caloundra city & the...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite with spa bath, plus main bathroom and separate powder-room - Spacious living & dining rooms - Large balcony with magnificent ocean...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxurious ensuite with spa bath plus main bathroom - Large balcony with Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island & ocean views - Fully...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Ensuite plus second bathroom - Large wrap-around balcony with magnificent views of Kings Beach, Bribie Island, Glass House Mountains and...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite plus main bathroom - Large closed-in balcony with spectacular panoramic views of Caloundra City and the deep blue ocean - Spacious...
- 3 spacious bedrooms plus study - Luxury ensuite & main bathroom plus powder-room - Large living & dining areas plus family-room - Huge wrap-around terrace with...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.